Earthquake death toll in Turkey and Syria rises to over 4000
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The two earthquakes, which struck in the early hours on Monday, February 6, have affected a total of 13 million people in 10 different Turkish provinces. The provinces affected are Kahramanmaraş, Gaziantep, Şanlıurfa, Diyarbakır, Adana, Adıyaman, Osmaniye, Hatay, Kilis and Malatya.
The current death toll is believed to be 5,434, however, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has predicted a total of 20,000 may have died following the disaster.
At present, 31,777 individuals have been injured in disaster areas.
The Turkish Embassy went on to state that 60,217 search and rescue workers, 4,746 vehicles and pieces of construction equipment have been deployed in a desperate bid to rescue survivors trapped under debris.
A total of 10 ships, nine by the Navy and one by the Coast Guard Command, are deployed to deliver personnel and materials.
READ MORE: Suspected bomb leads to hundreds evacuated and roads shut
So far, 300,000 blankets 54,511 medical tents, 102,254 beds, 178,732 pillows and sheets, 4,602 kitchen kits 3,761 heaters and 4,452 tube caps, 557 containers and 747 tents have been sent to affected areas, the embassy said.
Disaster and Emergency Management-AFAD, Turkish Red Crescent, and Türkiye Diyanet Foundation have pleaded for public support and donations as they scramble to aid Turkish residents affected by the disaster.
Officials confirmed this morning that deaths in Syria and Turkey combined have passed 5,000.
However, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that the death toll in Turkey could pass 20,000.
Republican Representative snubs Joe Biden’s State of Union address [UPDATE]
Sophie Wessex looks ready for action as she tries clay pigeon shooting [INSIGHT]
Russians to ‘finally feel the impact’ of war as economic failings show [REVEAL]
A senior official from the organisation said fatalities could rise “eightfold” as rescuers continue with their efforts.
Catherine Smallwood, WHO’s senior emergency officer for Europe, said deaths often rise in the week after a large earthquake.
Commenting when the estimated death tolls hit 2,600, she said the “potential of further collapses” would put more lives at risk.
She added that officials “always see the same thing with earthquakes”, with initial reports likely to “increase quite significantly in the week that follows”.
Orhan Tatar, an official at the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said that the earthquakes collapsed 5,775 buildings.
Source: Read Full Article