Pub landlords beat bloke with karaoke microphone after kicking him out of boozer

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

A man was beaten and kicked by three members of the same family outside the pub one of them ran.

Gordon, Sharon and Johnathon Woodward had booted David Murphy from the Boilermaker's Arms in Saint Helens, Liverpool, before assaulting him.

Mr Murphy tried to get back inside before the three Woodwards became mixed up in a fight with him and other punters, the Liverpool Echo reports.

READ MORE: Ex-school teacher 'posed as police officer and attacked gay men with pepper spray'

The Woodwards all claimed they were originally trying to defend themselves from Mr Murphy's aggressive behaviour before unnecessarily assaulting the man.

Prosecutor Emily Comer told Liverpool Magistrates' Court yesterday (July 14) that the Woodwards attempted to tell Mr Murphy he wouldn't be served before ushering him out on December 3 2021.

Mr Murphy then became aggressive and there was a struggle as he was forced outside before things took a turn for the worse.

CCTV of the incident shows pub landlord Gordon Woodward, 63, hitting Mr Murphy before Sharon, 53, and Jonathan, 27, joined him in a brawl that lasted several minutes.

Ms Comer said none of the three led the assault.

  • Passenger films terrifying emergency evacuation after plane caught fire

While the assault was brutal, it appeared to be punctuated by periods where the family members, particularly Sharon, tried to talk to Mr Murphy before violence flares up again.

At one point, Johnathon Woodward can be seen hitting Mr Murphy with an item that was later confirmed to be a karaoke microphone.

Mr Murphy was left with a broken nose after the attack and the Woodwards were arrested.

All three admitted their roles in the assault and pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity. John Keane, defending Gordon and Sharon Woodward, said on the night of the incident the family were grieving the death of Gordon Woodward’s dad and said tensions ran high when Mr Murphy became aggressive.

Sharon Woodward had no previous convictions, the court heard, while Gordon Woodward’s last was in 1981 and did not send him to jail.

Mr Kean said Gordon Woodward had run the Boilermaker’s Arms responsibly for years – meanwhile, Sharon Woodward worked at a local primary school throughout the pandemic.

Danielle Gibbons, defending Johnathon Woodward, said he regretted his part in the assault and highlighted a moment in the CCTV footage which showed him on the phone to police, citing it as evidence he was trying to bring a halt to the situation.

Ms Gibbons also read a reference from a work colleague of Johnathon Woodward who expressed shock at the assault and described him as a friendly, honest and trustworthy.

All three Woodwards have been sentenced to 24 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months.

The three are also due to pay compensation and prosecution costs to Mr Murphy and complete unpaid work.


  • Pubgoers stunned as massive bird of prey swoops down to steal bloke's entire steak

  • Wheelchair user 'sickened' as she's whacked with £1,800 fine for parking in disabled bay

  • People who tried to start own countries including squatters, farmers and icon's brother

  • Gatwick branded 'a bit Third World' after running out of water in sweltering heatwave

  • Dating ads offering chance to meet ‘thousands of lonely Ukrainian women’ banned

  • Pubs
  • Courts

Source: Read Full Article