Pizza driver paranoid by death threat shot innocent man dead as he opened door

A pizza delivery driver shot an innocent man dead as he was spooked by death threats from gangsters, sources say.

Earl McKevitt, 51, has pleaded guilty to the murder of Conor O’Brien, 19, in County Meath, Ireland, at O'Brien's home in August 2021.

The Irish Mirror reported that McKevitt was told by gardai just days before that his life was under threat from gangsters.

READ MORE: Three sickos 'tied up victim with barbed wire and sliced symbols into their face'

Sources told the publication he armed himself with a pistol as a result.

They also said McKevitt was so paranoid that he wrongly believed O’Brien was a threat to him as he answered the door for his takeaway pizza.

O’Brien – who is said to have been in no way involved in organised crime – was shot dead by McKevitt.

"McKevitt was consumed with paranoia," a source told the Irish Mirror.

"Mr O'Brien was just horrifically unlucky to cross his path."

The publication established that days before he murdered O’Brien, McKevitt had been given a so-called Garda Information Message by detectives.

A GIM form is given to people whom they believe to be at risk of murder.

It’s understood he had been threatened by a west Dublin crime gang and feared for his life.

McKevitt is facing the mandatory life sentence after he admitted O’Brien’s murder yesterday (Thursday, February 23) in the Central Criminal Court.

John Fitzgerald SC, for the Director of Public Prosecutions, told Mr Justice Paul McDermott that McKevitt could be arraigned on count one on the indictment and that further counts may be required in due course.

McKevitt pleaded guilty to the single charge of murdering O'Brien.

The judge remanded McKevitt in custody until March 3, when he will be sentenced.

McKevitt was identified as a person of interest after it emerged he had delivered a takeaway to O'Brien around the time of the murder.

He gave a voluntary statement to gardai, but then became the prime suspect.

Gardai were working on the case against him when he was arrested in a drunken incident in a pub in Carlow four days after the killing.

He was drinking in a pub when he reportedly became abusive to staff and appeared to threaten them with a handgun.

Armed gardai quickly arrived on the scene and arrested McKevitt when they found the Glock semi-automatic pistol on him.

The weapon was sent to ballistics tests – which showed it was the gun used in the murder of O’Brien.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.


  • Woman executed her friend in return for £7.4m from online 'millionaire' stranger

  • Woman, 79, punched, kicked and hit with gun by callous robbers in $500k jewellery raid

  • Ex-cop accused of kidnapping and murdering teenage girl after 'critical evidence' found

Source: Read Full Article