One dead and another injured after e-bike battery fire sparks killer blaze

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    One person has died and another was seriously injured in a house blaze sparked by an e-bike battery that was left to charge overnight.

    Firefighters rushed to a fire at at Daisy Mews, Litherland, Merseyside, at 3am on Sunday, January 8, before two people were evacuated from the house, the Liverpool ECHO reported.

    Firefighters and North West Ambulance Service paramedics did CPR on the occupants, but one of the residents died at the scene and the other remains in a serious condition in hospital.

    READ MORE: Putin 'trapping Ukrainian kids in grim Crimean summer camp to use as bargaining chips'

    Another person, who managed to escape the property and raise the alarm after being woken by smoke alarms, was also taken to hospital suffering from severe smoke inhalation.

    A joint investigation between MFRS and Merseyside Police has revealed the fire was accidental and caused by an e-bike left charging overnight.

    The fire had rapidly taken hold and spread quickly through open internal doors.

    Area Manager Mark Thomas paid tribute to the families involved, hailed the efforts of emergency services and warned of the dangers of leaving ebikes and similar devices to charge overnight.

    He said: "This tragedy highlights the very real risks posed by e-bikes, which we have confirmed as the source of the fire.

    "We would ask that people don’t leave any electrical appliance – particularly e-bikes and scooters – charging unattended and definitely not while you are asleep when we are all at our most vulnerable.

    • 'My husband was paralysed by freak wave – our lives will never be the same'

    "Also consider if you are leaving the bike or scooter in the way of your escape route should you need to evacuate in darkness.

    "I would also urge people to follow the manufacturer’s instructions, only using batteries and chargers which have been supplied with the vehicle or approved by the manufacturer."

    The controversial bikes are continuing to gain bad press after a host of fires in recent weeks.

    The New York Times called the increase in fires caused by lithium-ion batteries, particularly those found in e-bikes, "troubling" in a recent report.

    New York City Fire Department officials reported that battery fires had killed six people and injured 140 others as of December last year.

    In 2021, London Fire Brigade reported on a spike in “ferocious” fires caused by electric bike and scooter batteries.

    To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

    READ NEXT:

    • Battered Brits abroad topple huge beloved buffalo sculpture by trying to ride it

    • American mocked for 'drying out kettle' after making a cuppa

    • Pensioner 'forced to shoot rats with rifle' as vermin 'turning house into driving range'

    • Stripper dates men so she can 'break their hearts' and says it's a 'fun hobby'

    • Fire

    Source: Read Full Article