Meghan Markle's rumoured return to Instagram is "wishful thinking", a pal has claimed.
The Duchess of Sussex and husband Prince Harry have not been on social media since they left their roles as working royals back in 2020 and lost access to their official account, @SussexRoyal.
Now, three years later, speculation has started to circulate that Meghan has set up a secret account under the handle @Meghan.
READ MORE: Advisor to King Charles 'told charity workers to line up and shake the royal sausages'
But Meghan's biographer and friend to the Sussexes Omid Scobie slammed the "details about Meghan's impending return to Instagram" as "wishful thinking" in a column for Yahoo News, adding that a source told him: "She has no account on the platform at present or on the horizon."
"This is all trash," the source reportedly added.
Meghan first hinted at a possible return to social media in a tell-all interview with glossy US mag The Cut last year.
"Do you want to know a secret? I’m getting back… on Instagram," she declared, before retracting the statement and saying she wasn't sure about the move.
So far the handle @meghan has amassed more than 1.7k followers on the platform, despite not currently have any photos posted to the account.
Royal fans spot hidden South Park jibe at Meghan Markle with Kate Middleton reference
The page does, however, have a profile picture of a pink dahlia, a symbol used by supporters of the Sussex camp.
Meanwhile the Duke and Duchess of Sussex still boast a joint 9.5m followers on their now-defunct account @SussexRoyal.
Their last post was made on March 30, 2020, a day before their official exit from royal life.
The image was a navy blue square overlaid with white text, which read: "Thank you to this community for the support, the inspiration and the shared commitment to the good in the world. Harry & Meghan."
"As we all find the part we are to play in this global shift and changing of habits, we are focusing this new chapter to understand how we can best contribute," they captioned the post.
"While you may not see us here, the work continues."
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have made headlines this week after the creators of South Park poked fun at the pair in a recent episode, entitled The Worldwide Privacy Tour.
In it, the fictional Prince and Princess of Canada can be seen travelling the world holding up placards reading "We want our privacy!!" and "Stop looking at us!".
Harry's memoir, Spare, even gets a notable mention, reimagined as Waaagh.
The episode has caused widespread controversy, with Meghan reportedly left "overwhelmed" and "upset" by the episode and the couple's legal teams rumoured to be "casting an eye" over the clip.
Scobie, however, says this isn't the case.
"According to one newspaper, [the episode] spells 'the beginning of the end" for the couple's popularity in the US," Scobie wrote.
"Meghan was supposedly left 'upset and overwhelmed' for several days by the episode.
"The 'California sources' quoted in the article, however, must have been drunk or high, because none of it is actually true.
"Claims that the Archewell founders are planning to sue the show's creators, a rumour that first started life on an obscure YouTube channel but somehow ended up on a British broadcast news network, also turned out to be nothing more than fantasy."
The Daily Star has contacted the Sussexes' representatives for comment.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Meghan started 'domino effect' by 'burning bridges first' before Harry, says expert
Meghan Markle on brink of 'humiliation' as half-sister's lawsuit threatens brand
Private snaps of Princess Diana and King Charles with baby William to be auctioned off
Meghan Markle denies feeling 'embarrassed' following Prince Harry's memoir
Source: Read Full Article