Journalist dies while covering Qatar World Cup as brother says he was killed

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    American football Journalist Grant Wahl has died at 48 in Qatar while covering the World Cup, says his brother.

    Grant had covered Argentina’s quarterfinal win over the Netherlands on Friday and collapsed at Lusail Iconic Stadium.

    The sports Journalist was rushed to a nearby hospital but passed away.

    READ MORE: Thousands watched 'live games from Qatar' not realising they were FIFA 23 replays

    It’s currently unclear whether he died at the hospital or in transport.

    Grant’s brother Eric made the announcement in an Instagram video where he claimed his brother was “healthy” before he collapsed during a game Friday.

    Eric also believes Grant was killed after he was recently detained for 35 minutes for wearing a rainbow flag shirt during the United States opening games against Wales.

    Eric said on Instagram: “My name is Eric Wahl. I live in Seattle, Washington. I am Grant Wahl’s brother. I’m gay.

    “I’m the reason he wore the rainbow shirt to the World Cup. My brother was healthy. He told me he received death threats. I do not believe my brother just died. I believe he was killed. And I just beg for any help.”

    “We’re still trying to find out,” Eric continued.

    “He collapsed at the stadium, was given CPR, was taken by Uber to hospital and died, according to Celine. (Grant’s wife) We just spoke with the state department, and Celine has spoken to Ron Klain and the White House.”

    To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here .

    Eric, who works for CBS Sports, was detained on November 21 for wearing the shirt to the game at Qatar’s Ahmad bin Ali Stadium as a sign of solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community.

    Homosexuality is illegal in Qatar.

    He was detained for 30 minutes but was eventually let into the stadium.

    Grant claimed his phone was “forcibly ripped” from his hands by a guard as he tweeted about the incident.

    His tweeted on November 21: “I’m OK, but that was an unnecessary ordeal. Am in the media centre, still wearing my shirt. Was detained for nearly half an hour. Go gays”

    He wrote in his Substack column: “Then a security commander approached me.

    “He said they were letting me through and apologized. We shook hands. One of the security guards told me they were just trying to protect me from fans inside who could harm me for wearing the shirt … A Fifa rep later apologized to me as well.”


    • Heartbroken Neymar shows caring side with touching moment after World Cup defeat

    • Antony's outrageous World Cup dive has fans demanding a red card for Brazil star

    • Paul Merson describes France as 'one-man team' as he makes 'bullish' prediction

    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • World Cup
    • Breaking News

    Source: Read Full Article