Detectives investigating a sexual assault on a three-year-old girl in a park have issued a desperate plea for tourists to check their phones.
Police have appealed for Brits to check their photos in case they unwittingly snapped the attacker at Fort Victoria Country park in Yarmouth, at around 3pm last Monday.
Cops said a toddler was assaulted by a stranger in a wooded area of the park in broad daylight.
The little girl had strayed from her family when she was attacked, sparking a major investigation.
The attack was described as a “very serious sexual offence”.
Police scoured the area for days afterwards desperately looking for clues.
Detectives later arrested a 60-year-old man in connection with the assault. He was later released pending further inquiries.
Hampshire Police have now issued a plea for the public to check camera rolls for any sign of the attacker.
Police said tourists and stay-cationers may have captured “something, or someone, significant without realising it”.
A spokesman said: “Our investigation into a sexual offence at Fort Victoria Country Park in Yarmouth continues and we are providing a portal for witnesses to upload photo and video evidence.
“Shortly after 3pm on Monday August 31, a three-year-old girl was seriously sexually assaulted in woodland.”
Basketball star battling cancer devastated by theft of £10k Nike collection
Detective Chief Inspector Liam Davies said: “We have previously appealed for anyone with dash cam footage, who drove into Fort Victoria Country Park via Westhill Lane between 11.30am and 4pm on Bank Holiday Monday, to get in touch.
“We continue to ask for this footage and in addition would now like to hear from anyone who attended the country park between these times and took photographs or videos while they were there.
“Please take the time to check over your cameras and camera phones and upload anything you captured in the area that day to the portal provided, even if you feel it may not be of relevance.
“You may have inadvertently captured something, or someone, significant without realising it.
Police officer gets life-saving transplant from criminal he jailed eight years ago
“We are continuing to investigate this offence as an absolute priority and our dedicated investigators will take the time to review all of the material you provide us.”
Police said previously that the child and her family were being supported by specially trained officers.
Superintendent Sarah Jackson, District Commander for the Isle of Wight, said earlier this week: “I am, of course, aware of the concerns within the community following this incident but please be reassured that we are doing everything we can to progress this investigation and follow every line of inquiry available to us.
“Incidents such as this are very rare and we will be ensuring we have additional patrols in the relevant locations. In addition to this, we will be working with our partners and local schools to address any concerns raised.”
A 60-year-old man was held on suspicion of the attack but he has since been released pending further inquiries.
The man is understood to live on the island, where the family were enjoying a day out at Ford Victoria Country Park.
Source: Read Full Article