Organizers of the Collision tech conference, which was set to be held in Toronto in June, have cancelled the in-person event and have instead opted for an online summit over fears of COVID-19.
“For now, given the evolving nature of COVID-19, we think gathering tens of thousands of people from almost every country in the world in one place this June would be irresponsible,” Collision founder Paddy Cosgrave said in a statement.
“Toronto has not suffered a significant COVID-19 outbreak, and at Collision, we want to ensure that remains the case.”
Cosgrave said the event will still be happening but will take place online in the form of the Collision from Home conference.
Refunds will be provided for ticket holders, if they request one, up to 30 days after the online event, Cosgrave said. Ticket transfers will also be provided to the Collision 2021 event.
“In other words, there is no risk in attending Collision from Home. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised — if not, you can apply for a full refund,” he said.
Around 30,000 people were expected to attend the event at the Enercare Centre on the Exhibition Grounds from June 22 to 25.
Last year, the conference drew an estimated 25,000 attendees and had 700 speakers over four days.
Several notable figures attended, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
Source: Read Full Article