Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter
We have more newsletters
A supposedly brain dead pastor miraculously started showing signs of life just moments before he was due to have his organs harvested.
Ryan Marlow, 37 and from North Carolina, US started moving after being shown videos of his children.
Ryan had spent two weeks in Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center suffering from listeria, an infection caused by bacteria.
READ MORE: Five hospitalised after being mauled by 'out of control' and off-the-lead Rottweiler
Doctors pronounced him clinically brain dead on August 27, his wife Megan said on a Facebook livestream.
She was told he had suffered "neurological death" as a result of the brain swelling caused by his illness.
Ryan is listed as an organ donor, meaning that he was kept on a life support machine while potential matches were found for his organs.
On August 30 Ryan's family gathered at the hospital to say their final goodbyes. However, when Megan arrived she was told by her niece that her husband's feet had moved after he was shown videos of his kids.
"My heart could not bare it," Megan said on Facebook, where she documented Ryan's battle with listeria in livestreams that racked up thousands of views.
He was due to have his organs harvested just minutes later.
Megan said: "Literally the team was waiting there to take him… and I tell the nurse 'stop everything right now'."
Ryan was rushed for a CT scan that showed signs of brain activity. He was not brain dead and the doctors had made an error, Megan said.
She went on to explain that Ryan had still suffered major damage to his brain stem and remained in a critical condition in a coma.
However, she made it clear: "He's not brain dead, my friends. God's kept him here. He's supposed to be dead, he's supposed to be at the funeral home right now according to these doctors."
Since, Megan said her husband has shown positive signs including more occasional movements and an increasing heart rate.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
She is currently trying to transfer him to a new hospital, although the move has stalled.
Listeria is usually caused by eating food contaminated with the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) .
The CDC estimates that around 1,600 people in the US contract listeria each year. Roughly 260 of them die.
UK Government on high alert over 'mystery pneumonia strain' that killed two in Argentina
Partner of scaffolder killed in freak trampoline accident reveals she's pregnant
Brit mum's heart 'stopped for 30 minutes' as she fights for life after lightning strike
Newlywed's life 'turned upside down' after freak kite surfing accident left him paralysed
Woman 'allergic to gravity' left bed bound and unable to stand by rare illness
Source: Read Full Article