Adorable bulldog dies after dogsitter left him in conservatory during heatwave

A woman has been left heartbroken after her beloved bulldog died in the heatwave because a dogsitter allegedly ignored her instructions.

Devastated Nikki Morton, 49, says a dogsitter who she hired via dog boarding service Rover, shut little 21-month-old Teddie inside her conservatory overnight despite being warned against it, WalesOnline reports.

The manner in which Nikki was told of Teddie's death fuelled her fury, claiming she received a call on Monday (July 18) with "no sympathy, no care… nothing other than 'your dog is dead'".

READ MORE: Chaos on ferry as 10 dogs and puppies rescued from boiling vans in 40C heat

Rover said it has launched an investigation and removed the sitter from its platform. Police are also investigating.

Nikki from Caerphilly said: "I am angry and absolutely heartbroken because it was so avoidable."

Teddie was booked in for a 24-hour stay with the five-star rated sitter from 6pm last Sunday, which cost £28. Nikki claims she gave instructions for the sitter not to walk him outside because it was so hot.

"The conservatory was boiling when we went there that day," she added. "It was 27C outside and hotter in there."

Nikki said she was surprised to learn five other dogs were reportedly staying with the sitter at the same time.

Shortly afterwards the sitter allegedly texted Nikki saying that she had just done three laps of her garden with Teddie and that he did not look "over the moon".

  • Grim warning to parents as two kids start vomiting blood after swimming at beauty spot

Nikki added: "I said: 'What?' She repeated: 'The dog is dead.' I thought she was messing around. I said: 'What the hell do you mean the dog is dead?'

"She said: 'I went to bed at 10pm and just found him.' I asked where he'd been sleeping and she said: 'Well, the conservatory.'"

Devastated Nikki and her husband Glenn went to collect the dog that morning. "My dog was dead on the floor and she had thrown a quilted blanket over him," she said. "He was in almost full rigor mortis."

"The smell was horrendous and he had flies around his mouth. [The sitter] said: 'How do you think this makes me feel?' I just put my hand up. I didn't have any words.

"It's a fully glass conservatory with no blinds. If all the dogs were in that room with the heat coming off them… I'm hanging on to the thought that he didn't suffer in the conservatory, that he died quickly from overexertion after walking the previous night."

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

A Rover spokesman said: "At Rover most of us are pet parents ourselves and our hearts go out to Teddie’s family and all who loved him. We are committed to supporting Teddie’s owner during this challenging time.

"Our 24/7 trust and safety team is currently investigating the situation. We are removing the sitter from our platform, preventing them from offering further pet care services through Rover.

"Pet safety and the wellbeing of our community is our top priority at Rover. During this unprecedented heatwave in the UK we are proactively providing safety information to members of our community to help protect pets."

A South Wales Police spokeswoman said inquiries are ongoing and anyone with information should contact them via this link or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 quoting occurrence 2200242416.”

READ NEXT:

  • Beloved pup suffers 'terrifying death' after owners make it play fetch in scorching heat
  • Gun-toting 'monsters' break into shelter and slaughter 29 dogs 'after one bit child'
  • Seven dogs doused in petrol and burned alive in sick arson attack 'leaving cops sobbing'
  • Woman 'numb' after spotting her dog carried by neck in 'horrific' CCTV footage
  • Dog stretchered off mountain after being taken for afternoon walk on hottest day of year

Source: Read Full Article