Britain pledges close to $350M to help WHO, charities stop second coronavirus wave

Britain said on Sunday it was pledging 200 million pounds (CA$347 million) to the World Health Organisation (WHO) and charities to help slow the spread of the coronavirus in vulnerable countries and so help prevent a second wave of infections.

More than 1.6 million people are reported to have been infected by the novel coronavirus globally and deaths have topped 100,000 according to a Reuters tally.

Infections have been reported in 210 countries since the first cases were identified in China in December last year and British aid minister Anne-Marie Trevelyan said assisting the poorest nations now would help prevent the virus returning to the United Kingdom.

Britain has reported almost 10,000 deaths from the coronavirus so far, the fifth highest national number globally.

“While our brilliant doctors and nurses fight coronavirus at home, we’re deploying British expertise and funding around the world to prevent a second deadly wave reaching the UK,” Trevelyan said in a statement.

Britain’s support for the WHO contrasts with the view of U.S. President Donald Trump who has criticized its handling of the COVID-19 pandemic with suggestions his administration might re-evaluate U.S. funding.

“The United Kingdom’s generous contribution is a strong statement that this is a global threat that demands a global response,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO’s Director General said.

“We are all in this together, which means protecting health around the world will help to protect the health of people in the UK.”

(CA$1 = 0.58 pounds)


Source: Read Full Article